Smith Mohlman Leroy, LLC is moving to the Country Club Plaza on January 1, 2013. We have signed a lease for 5600 square feet of space on the 7th floor of the Plaza West Building at 4600 Madison, Kansas City, Missouri. We are all very excited about the new office which will provide us more space and better facilities as well as the latest in technology in order to better serve our personal injury and business clients in Kansas and Missouri. We will be providing more information as the move grows nearer. In the meantime, come see us at our current office at 7001 W 79th St., Overland Park, Kansas 66204.
At Smith Mohlman Leroy, LLC. we enjoy keeping up with the latest legal news and sharing it with you. We firmly believe that is important to keep up with industry happenings because it is just one more way that we can help you. An unfortunate vaccination error results in the loss of four limbs for a Miami teenager, “idiot”insult in an email sent to 400 people sparks a lawsuit, and while the wrongful death lawsuits from the 2010 West Virginia mine explosion have finally been settled, it’s far from over for Alpha.These were some of the topics gracing legal headlines this week. As always, we thank you for reading. Have a good one!
1. Miami teenager loses limbs due to vaccination error. The teen, who lost all four limbs as a result of the expired vaccine, has recently been awarded $12.6 million in the lawsuit. However, an appeal is likely.
2. Take a deep breath before you fire off that heated work email. A housing inspector has filed a civil against a real estate agent and her company after the real estate agent called him a “total” idiot in an email sent to more than 400 people.
3. It’s far from over for Alpha Natural Resources. The 2010 West Virginia mine explosion claimed the lives of 29 men. Nearly two years later, the wrongful death lawsuits filed by the families have been settled. But after acquiring Massey Energy for $7.1 billion, it also acquired a civil lawsuit filed by Massey Shareholders.
Thank you for reading. Have a great Friday!
At Smith Mohlman Leroy, LLC. we enjoy keeping up with the latest legal news and sharing it with you. We firmly believe that is important to keep up with industry happenings because it is just one more way that we can help you. Bank of America lawsuit settlements, Visitation Laws and Social Media Spies- that’s that we’ve got for you in this week’s blog. Once again, thanks for reading. We welcome your opinions and discussion!
1. Judge approves a $410 million settlement in Bank of America overdraft suits. The settlement, covering B of A debit card users from 2001 to 2011, is said to have an affect on more than 13 million of the bank’s customers. The lawsuits stemmed from the bank’s system for processing its debit card and check payments. The system formerly in use triggered more overdrafts than necessary or appropriate, resulting in excessive overdraft fees.
2. Parents have a constitutional right to raise their kids without interference. But what about grandparents? Most have a strong desire to be included in those youngsters’ lives. How to balance this? That’s what Visitation Laws are addressing. Necessary? Depends on the family, most likely.
3. Beware social media spies. Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites have purposes beyond connecting with friends and colleagues. Insurance companies and lawyers are using these sites in search of evidence that can be used to deny benefits to those who have been injured. Is this spying? Perhaps. Or maybe the more trendy, timely term here is “creeping.”
Smith/Mohlman works hard to make sure you are up to date and informed on Legal Industry News. Your opportunity to read industry articles on our Smith/Mohlman WordPress blog for this week are right here.
This week, we focused on Commercial Litigation Defense services, and how to prepare yourself for all sorts of franchise situations. The first step? Contact Smith Mohlman. http://www.accidentlawyerkc.com
On outline of our Commercial Litigation Defense services:
The Law Offices of Smith/Mohlman LLC has an active practice in the area of civil and commercial litigation. Both partners have been involved in complex tort cases involving a wide variety of parties, and have worked on both the Plaintiff and Defense sides. The members of the firm also have substantial experience in the area of insurance defense and personal injury litigation, and have handled complex cases involving commercial and business litigation of many kinds The firm handles each lawsuit in an appropriately aggressive fashion, with an eye toward an efficient and timely resolution of each dispute.
Here are some important resources you may have missed:
- 1. Ever wonder, what in the world is commercial litigation? Here’s your answer: http://goo.gl/UBMsj
- 2. Breach of Fiduciary Duty Law & Legal Definition http://goo.gl/vXZUW #LEGAL [INDUSTRY]
- 3. Good example of Disputes over non-compete clauses: Live Nation Sues Former Chairman Over Severance Agreement http://goo.gl/sfwLV #Legal [INDUSTRY]
- 4. With or without a written partnership agreement, disputes do occur. Check this http://goo.gl/Xy6Om #Legal [INDUSTRY]